We cannot imagine our life without transport. All the freight is taken from one place to another by different kinds of transport. People always need food products and other necessary things, and the point of production is often located very far from the point of consumption. Long distances also make people use transport for travelling to other places. There are different means of transport.
Motor transport is the most common kind of transport. Nowadays it becomes more and more dangerous. A great number of cars pollute air and create traffic congestions in big cities. Modern cars are too fast. There are too many road accidents due to excessive speed, in which many people die. Motor transport is used in every field of our life. In modern conditions, it is the most comfortable type of transport for people in their daily life.
Air transport is the fastest kind of transport. Travelling by plane is very expensive, but it is more comfortable for those who want to save time. Many people, especially businesspersons, prefer to travel by planes. Goods of high value are usually transported by air. Helicopters can perform different operations in hard accessible regions because it can fly up from the ground and can also stay in one position in the air. They are often used in emergencies or when roads are closed or dangerous.
Railway transport is the safest and the most popular type of transport. Trains have to carry more and more freight. They connect villages and cities. There are different kinds of trains. Modern trains can develop super-high speed and provide travelling with comforts.
2. Learn words and word combinations:
1) to imagine представлять, воображать
2) to carry перевозить
3) necessary things необходимые вещи
4) the point of production точка производства
5) to be located располагаться
6) far from далеко от
7) the point of consumption точка потребления
8) long distances большие расстояния
9) to use transport пользоваться транспортом
10) means of transport транспортные средства
11) common распространенный
12) kind of transport вид транспорта
13) to become становиться
14) more and more dangerous все более опасным
15) a great number of cars большое количество автомобилей
16) to pollute air загрязнять воздух
17) to create traffic congestions создавать транспортные пробки
18) in every field в каждой области
19) in modern conditions в современных условиях
20) daily life повседневная жизнь
21) the fastest type of transport самый быстрый вид транспорта
22) to save time сэкономить время
23) to choose выбирать
24) to prefer предпочитать
25) goods of high value ценные товары
26) hard accessible regions труднодоступные районы
27) emergency чрезвычайная ситуация
28) to fly up from the ground взлетать с земли
29) the safest type of transport самый безопасный вид транспорта
30) to develop super-high speed развивать очень высокую скорость
31) to provide обеспечивать
3. Complete the sentences:
1. We cannot imagine our life …..
2. People always need ……
3. The point of production is often located very far …….
4. Long distances also make people use transport …..
5. Motor transport becomes ……
6. A great number of cars ……
7. Air transport is ……
8. Businesspersons prefer ……
9. Helicopters can perform different operations ……
10. Railway transport is ……
11. Modern trains can develop……
4. Answer the questions:
1. Why can’t we imagine our life without transport?
2. Which type of transport becomes more and more dangerous?
3. Does the motor transport pollute air and create traffic congestions in big cities?
4. Which type of transport is the fastest one?
5. Who prefers to travel by plane?
6. Which goods are usually transported by air?
7. Which type of transport is the safest mode of transport?
8. Can modern trains develop super-high speeds and provide travelling with comforts?