|Present Continuous (I am doing) Some action which is happening at or around the time of speaking: · The wind is blowing hard. Shut the window, please. · I can’t understand him. What language is he speaking? · It’s too late. Whatare you writing? We use the Present Continuous for a temporary situation. · They are staying at the hotel until their house is ready.||Present Simple (I do) Actions in general or those which happen repeatedly: · Strong wind oftenblowshere in winter. · What language do they speak in Switzerland? · I write letters to my mother twice a month. We use the Present Simple for a permanent situation. · In summer they usuallygo to the South and stay at a hotel near the sea.|
Exercise 30. Выберите правильный вариант (Present Simple или Present Continuous).
1. It (often/ rain) in this part of the world.
A is often raining B often rains
2. Take your umbrella. It (rain) cats and dogs.
A rains B is raining
3. Granny is in the kitchen. She (make) a plum-cake.
A is making B makes
4. My wife (often/make) plum-cakes.
A is often making B often makes
5. Can you phone a bit later, please? Jane (have a bath).
A is having a bath B has a bath
6. Run downstairs. Your sister (wait) for you.
A is waiting B waits
7. I don’t know Spanish, but I (learn) it now.
A am learning B learn
8. John (still/work) in the garden.
A is still working B still works
9. Dad (usually/work) on Saturdays.
A is usually working B usually works
10. Usually I (have) coffee in the morning, but now I (drink) tea.
A am having A drink
B have B am drinking
11. We (sometimes/go) to the cinema.
A are sometimes going B sometimes go
12. – What she (do)? – She is a secretary at our college.
A is she doing B does she do
13. Why you (sit) at my desk? Could you take your place, please?
A Why you are sitting
B Why do you sit
C Why are you sitting
14. I (not/understand) what he (speak) about.
A am not understanding A is speaking
B don’t understand B speaks
15. What you (think) about?
A do you think B are you thinking
16. I (work) hard for my exams now.
A am working B work
17. The pupil said at the lesson that water (boil) at 1000 degrees Centigrade and got bad mark.
A boils B is boiling
18. Look! The water (boil). Let’s make the tea.
A boils B is boiling
19. I (speak) French. But I’ve just started to learn it.
A don’t speak B am not speaking
20. He (work) for the travel agency «Holidays».
A works B is working
21. I’m sure you (make) the right choice.
A make B are making
22. The children (get on) quite well now. They don’t quarrel any more.
A get on B are getting on
23. I (not/drink) coffee at all.
A don’t drink B am not drinking
24. He (run) his own shop.
A runs B is running
25. Our company (run) a great risk at the moment.
A runs B is running
26. He (know) a lot about show business.
A knows B is knowing
27. Look! Someone (try) to open your car.
A tries B is trying
28. It (rain) heavily. Let’s wait a little bit.
A rains B is raining
Exercise 31. Put the verb into the correct form, the Present Continuous or the Present Simple.
Examples: I’ m planting (plant) cherry-tree. Will you help me?
How does she keep her children in line? (she/keep)?
He doesn’t feel well (not/feel). He hasn’t been well for quite a time.
1. These things ___________ (not/belong) to my parents.
2. Look! He __________ (come). I (want) to speak to him.
3. This stream _____________ (flow) to the lake at the bottom of the valley.
4. Today the river ____________ (flow) much faster than usual.
5. __________ (it/ever/rain) on Madeira?
6. They usually ___________ (grow) vegetables in their garden but this year they __________ (not/grow) any.
7. – Can you ride a bicycle? – No, but I ___________ (learn). My brother ____________(teach) me.
8. You can borrow my dictionary. I _____________ (not/need) it at the moment.
9. I usually enjoy music but I __________ (not/enjoy) this record very much.
10. I ___________ (not/believe) this man’s story.
11. My brother __________ (live) in Cardiff. He has always lived in Wales. Where ___________ (your sister/live)?
12. Vladimir is in England now. He ___________ (stay) with some friends.
13. She ___________ (look for) a new flat at the moment.
14. – What ___________ (your husband/do)? – He’s a broker but he __________ (not/work) at the moment.
15. He’s in the bathroom. I __________(think) he __________ (wash) his hair.
16. – Can I speak to your parents, please? – I’m sorry. They __________(have) lunch at the moment.
17. I usually ___________(cook) meals, and my brother ________(to wash) dishes. 18. Mr. Anderson __________(be) an English tourist who_________ (travel) to Eastern Europe tomorrow. Just now he __________(have) breakfast at home. After breakfast he _____________(go out) to do a lot of things.
19. I _____________(wear) glasses only for reading and watching TV.
20. On Sundays they __________(have) dinner at a restaurant.
21. Oh, I ____________(go) to work as a nurse in Africa, in Kenya, and I __________ (look) forward to it because it’s such an exotic country for me.
22. Some pupils are outside. They ___________(try) to get in.
23. You can’t miss him. He ____________(wear) a white jacket, and he ___________(carry) a striped umbrella.
24. The coffee _____________(taste) delicious.
25. We ______________(look for) someone who ___________(want) to make money. 26. John _______________(play) in the school team this season.
27. If you _____________(not/listen) to the radio, please ___________ (switch) it off. 28. I ______________ (hear) someone speaking in the next room.
29. Don’t disturb him. He ______________ (smell) flowers in the garden.
30. It ______________ (get) dark. Let’s go home.
31. Jane ___________ (have) a cold. I__________(not/think) she’ll come to the party. 32. You always _______________(make) mistakes in your tests. You should be more attentive.
33. I ______________(write) a letter to my grandmother who ____________ (live) in Novgorod. I _____________(write) to her very often.
34. Michael ____________ (know) German rather well. He ___________(want) to know English, too, but he ___________ (have) little time for it.
35. What magazine ____________ (you/read)? – It ____________(be) a French magazine. There _____________ (be) good articles on sports here. ___________(you/be) interested in sports? – Yes, I am. But I __________ (not/ know) French.
36. Who _____________ (that man/be) who (to stand) in the doorway? – ___________ (you/not/recognize) him? It __________ (be) John, my cousin.
37. I _____________(have) no time now, I ____________(have) dinner.
38. The sun ________________ (go) from East to West.
39. I ________________ (think) you are not right. His new book is much better than his previous one.
40. Such a curious child! She _______________(constantly/ask) all sorts of questions.